1. Tell everyone what you do.
I run Mallzee.com which is a new way to shop online. We allow you to only see clothes that suit you from your favourite stores. We like to think of it as bespoke shopping. You take a short style quiz, pick your favourite stores to add to your Mallzee account then only see the clothes that suit you from them. To create a great experience we also let you shop with your friends via live chat, interactive polling and browsing together.
2. What prompted you to launch a style website and why ‘Mallzee’?
I think the Internet has changed the way people do a lot of things over the last couple of years but the way we shop online hasn’t really evolved. It’s a massively growing industry but apart from daily deals its not really changed since the early 2000s. I’ve always been blown away by the choice online. Mallzee searches over 750,000 clothes to only show you what suits you – that saves a lot of time.
3. How does Mallzee differ from other online retailers?
We’re a one stop shop. We bring together over 200 stores in one place but only show you what suits you. Our system is totally personal as well so you won’t get the same recommendations as your friends like some other sites.
4. What advice do you give shoppers that struggle to find clothes online?
We’re working on tools to help with finding the right fit online. As a starting basis we look at the shape of clothes to really help find items that suit you.
5. What’s the biggest challenge facing fashion entrepreneurs in Scotland?
That initial early traction, it’s vital to be taken seriously and is harder when you’re in a small country but I think we’ve proved that it can be done.
6. What was the latest thing that inspired you?
I love reading blogs so get inspired by others on nearly a daily basis. The most recent was the quote on the wall at Facebook ‘Get Shit Done’ I think it’s a great mantra and one more people should embrace.
7. Tell us about your biggest fashion disaster and how it shaped your personal style.
It’s not really a fashion disaster but I once messed up with a bottle of hair dye and ended up with jet black hair. I like to think of it as my goth phase!
8. What’s your biggest pet peeve?
Bad train manners. I commuted to Glasgow from Edinburgh for a year when setting up Mallzee and I used to hate people who didn’t know how to behave on trains.
9. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
‘Don’t let others tell you what you can’t do’ It’s so true and I would much rather fail trying than regret not.
10. Share something most people don’t know about you.
I’m terrified of snakes. I mean absolutely terrified. I can’t even see them on TV without freaking out.
To find out more about Mallzee visit www.mallzee.com or check out Mallzee on Facebook and Twitter.